Tuesday, April 19, 2011

VIDEO: Skier Saves Himself From Avalanche By Deploying an Airbag



Last week a tipster passed along this crazy POV video of a skier surviving an avalanche while helisking in Alaska. His saving grace? Wearing a piece of backcountry gear called the Backcountry Access Float 30. The avalanche survival backpack includes a reusable 150-liter airbag that self-inflates behind the head and shoulders when pulled by a rip cord. The purpose of the airbag is to keep a skier toward the top of the snowpack during the event of an avalanche, rather than being swept up and buried alive by the swift-moving snow. More details and the video after the jump.

Here's what Jeff Wyshynski, the skier who filmed the video, had to say about the rescue operation immediately following the avalanche. Via Vimeo:

This is just a 10 min video from my helmet cam. I provided it out of public interest and education on the use of emergency equipment. It only shows my limited perspective and only for a short time. Firstly, the operation was not too laid back. To the contrary, there was a heli over my head within seconds. If you listen to the soundtrack, the first question I was asked regarded my status to which I answered calmly and coherently that I was not injured. By the time I skied back to the guide, it was well established that I was ok, the priority switched to the other 2 skiers on the top, who needed to be brought back safely. After they were, I was flown to base for another health check.

Raw Footage - edit to follow from Jeff Wyshynski on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment