Thursday, October 28, 2010

Get the difficult, disagreeable stuff out of the way first & give yourself the gift of more time for fun & creativity.

So I attended a private event last night.
A birthday party for a celebrity DJ.
Although I had a great time, mingling with the new crop of celebrities,
Reality TV Stars, I hate to say it but the
music sucked! As a DJ, I don't rely on mash-ups to rock a party.
No disrespect to those DJ'S that take the time
to create those remixes. I give you all credit for "blending" those songs
together, I often play mash-ups in between
my sets but I don't rely on them. DJ'S please, please, stop
relying on mash-ups to prove that you are a DJ. All you are
doing in plagiarizing the DJ who created that mash-ups work.
That does not make you a DJ. I should have to go to a party and hear Fat Man Scoops voice on
every song! No disrespect to Scoop or Crooklyn Clan. Again at times
those mash-ups come in handy but 100% of your DJ set should not be mash-ups.
Musicians, artists take their time to create original music to be played in clubs, radio stations and
more importantly purchased to gain support and recognition. To be the big star on that center stage.
As a DJ, as DJ'S
artists rely on us to introduce them and their music to the world. Let's continue
to do so. Reduce the amount of mash-ups and play original music. You are taking
away from the art of djing by not playing originals. Are you new DJ'S aware of that?
When Serato was introduced, many Dj's like myself attempted to shy away from using it
but after seeing the convenience factor from Serato we all jumped on it.
Serato hurt and helped the DJ "game".
Serato helped the DJ game ten times over. It feels great to not lug those heavy cases
or crates (sometimes 10-18) of vinyl to and from a venue. The added features
in the software as well gives Dj's the opportunity
to be more creative on the fly (when mixing live we can create our own mash-ups and add effects).
The one gripe I have with Serato (and mash-ups) and it is completely beyond their control, is the fact that it made EVERYONE a dj! It's like there's a sudden in flux of "Microwave DJ's".
Definition, push a button and they become hot!
DJ'S. Please let's bring back the artform. If you can't scratch, transform, beat juggle. It's ok! As long as you can blend and keep the momentum and energy of the party at an all time
high, you're a real DJ. If you rely on mash-ups, you are not a DJ! Also, when playing music, please make sure you play tagless music. Tags from the website where downloaded the music from. You may think the club goers aren't paying attention but guess what? In that crowd there's a DJ (like myself) shaking his head in pure disgust!
If you are not on a major labels mailing list, you're not a DJ. Support the artists, buy their music on Itunes, buy their cd.
Promoters, please stop booking DJ's because they play Mash-ups. Or because he's your little brother's friend. Listen to his demo, give him a shot in the club and let the crowd decide whether or not he makes the cut.
Respect The Artform of DJING.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment